March 20, 2016

Solo Adventure

Lately I haven't been in the best of moods, not sleeping well, and having strange dreams, so today I decided to go on an adventure. Now just warning you this may sound like an Elite Daily article, but honestly I don't give a fuck.

Today I took myself out on a date, spend some time out, thought a museum would be a good time. Don't get me wrong, I did hit people up, but in the end I found myself on my own. And in my search of which museum to visit I found a trailer to a movie called "My Golden Days", and I was hooked. My trip to a museum turned into a movie day, and with that I showered and made my way to Manhattan. Got off the train, walked by the Anti-Trump rally, checked that out for a bit, thought about my old protest and rally days, and then made my way to Lincoln Center.

I got hungry, and went ahead an enjoyed a meal on my own. I felt strange, sitting by myself, drinking  a beer. Its strange when you're alone, you don't know where to look. I found myself looking at a woman also alone drinking coffee, an old couple in which the woman was using Siri to figure out how to get a movie review, and then there was the old woman with a young child. I assume that it was a grandmother spending the day with her grandchild, she was reading to her, and it reminded me of my relationship with my grandmother. It was one of those moments that made me glad that I have had good moments with someone who genuinely cares for me.

I enjoyed my meal and made my way to the movie theater. It was strange to be on the line alone. Once again no one to talk to, BUT getting a seat in where I like to sit in a movie theater was a breeze!! (note:I was probably the youngest person in that theater) I found a single seat in the back and center and made myself comfortable. It was there I had another moment where I overheard the man next to me tell a woman he was with (maybe his date? lol) that he graduated high school in 1945!!! He spoke of the draft and how the war was still going. There was a part of me that wanted to join in, just to know more, but I sat quietly next to him, listening to what I could and then the room went dark and the movie began.

"My Golden Days", told the story of a man thinking about three points of his youth, touching upon his childhood, his teenage years, and the girl he loved. It was basically your typical coming of age story, but I enjoyed it very much. It reminded me of my love for cinema, and being able to tell a story visually. I recommend that if you have a chance to see it, do it, so we can talk about it (especially about the ending, cause I have my issues with it there).

I don't want to lie, I felt sad being alone. I can't control if people say they busy, but it really sucks when people don't answer. When you know a lot of people it's not the same as having friends, and being able to get that in my head almost made me cry, but I didn't. I took today to give myself a chance to see how awesome I am. I took myself out on what I felt would be the ideal date, I got to explore, eat some good food, and saw a movie. I got to take a look at the world and observe the people that live in it. So my piece of advice I guess is allow yourself a day like that. Just go out on your own and make the best of it. I know I plan on going on more solo adventures, there's a sense of freedom and being able to get to know yourself. I know after today I am one step closer to figuring out how to love myself and I guess thats what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment